Monday, September 15, 2014

Blog 1 Kisumu

September 15, 2014

Blog 1
Kisumu, Kenya

Dear Family and Friends,

So, here I am one again in Kisumu, Kenya, volunteering with my favorite NGO – KMET.  Hinda and I first came here in 2009 and I helped to build KMET’s first building.  Then in 2010 and 2011, the second one that has the Schnurman Pharmacy.  And now I am going to help add a second floor to the first building.  Exciting?  Very!!

When I arrived here for my first day back at work I was greeted so warmly and enthusiastically by my KMET friends and family.  And most of all my Monica, KMET’s Executive Director, who some of you may know.  When I am away from Hinda she makes sure that I am ok.

They have grown both in numbers of staff and also in their programs.  It is really quite something.  If you have  the time look the up on the Internet – www.kmet.co.ke and/or check them out on Facebook:  KMET Kenya.

It did not take me long to slip into my work assignments – I have hit the road running and in the first 2 or 3 days I have been able to free up the building permit logjam which was stuck in the bureaucracy.  Now am starting to negotiate with contractors and suppliers so that we can do more with the little money that KMET has for this project.  But where there’s a will there’s a way and Monica and I and the other team members will succeed.  I will be here until the end of December and hope that by that time the additional floor will be up.

I also hope that Hinda will join me here so that we can travel back together and maybe even take a short vacation on the way back.

Kisumu has grown, but the roads that were terrible have gotten even worse.  It is hard to believe.  You wouldn’t believe it unless you see it for yourself.  Luckily I live near the office – a 10 or 15 minute walk, and when I need to go someplace for work, there is a KMET driver and vehicle to take me.

As a part of the growth here in town, there is a lot of construction, and in the last few days, a very unfortunate event occurred.  There are a lot of outdoor markets with small business people selling fruits, vegetables, etc.  The government wanted them to move to make way for some kind of construction.  Since they are poor and their businesses are small they refused.  Where could they go anyway?  Nowhere!  So on Friday night the police came and burned their market to the ground!  What a shame!  Now what will these people do?  Many have taken small loans to start their businesses and now there businesses are gone!

Every Monday and Friday morning at work there is a staff get together with announcements, and praying but the most beautiful is the singing.  Mostly hymns, but still beautiful and beautiful voices.  I started this practice several years ago, where I learned it when Hinda and I were volunteering in Uganda.  I love it!

Well, now for something more pleasant.  I live in the same compound where Hinda and lived in 2009, just next door in a small but cute 1 bedroom cottage.  Here are some photos that I took for you to see.  I cook a simple breakfast before I walk to work,  I usually have lunch at the office prepared by young women in one of the KMET training programs (Safe Spaces).  The cost about the equivalent of $.60and it is good.  For dinner, I have been eating with friends either here or at their places, and sometimes I cook for them.  Believe it or not I am a good cook and everyone’s loves it.  Last night I made breaded tilapia fillets and have made spaghetti and met sauce several time.  Come and enjoy!

One of the piki piki drivers (motorbike taxis) name is Shadrak, like in Shadrach, Mishak, and Abendigo.  I don’t know anyone anywhere else but here who has that name except of course in the Bible.

Finally, here I am known as “Omosh” a nickname for Omondi which my friend Meggy name me several years ago, so I will say so long for now,

Love,
Omosh

p.s.  My Kenyan phone number is +254 7865 78783 and my email is peter@peterschnurman.com

Uh oh!  Can’t send this now.  The internet is not working.  Welcome to Africa!

3 Comments:

Blogger Carl Shutoff said...

Hi Peter,

As always, when you write from Africa, you sound happy and fulfilled. It is a pleasure to read and contemplate. So sorry about the terrible action taken by the govt. re: the market. So stupid and unnecessary.

I look forward to your posts and expect to see more amazing photos.

Love,
Carlito

11:14 AM  
Blogger Rita Atukwasa said...

Dear Peter,
Great work. It is exciting to learn that you introduced morning praise to KMET. It is such a wonderful way to start the day. Where ever i am i miss that ever.

I wish you all the best.
Rita

10:23 PM  
Blogger osma said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home