Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blog 1 Kisumu, Kenya Sep 14, 2011

Blog 1Kisumu, KenyaSeptember 14, 2011

Jambo Everyone!

Hope this finds you well. Some of you know that I am back in Kenya, and for those who don’t, well, now you know.I arrived here on August 31, and after 1 night in Nairobi, flew to Kisumu on September 1. By Monday, September 6, I was back at work at K-MET. I think this is my 4th time here volunteering with them.

I am back living with Roselyne and Festus and their children Agnes, 3, and Kennedy, 9, and in my own room again. But this time I bought a new bed and mosquito net. I am quite comfortable.Since I was here last some 6 months ago, the prices of most things have increased significantly, however, the exchange rate has also improved in favor of the US dollar, so for me it is not as bad as it is for the Kenyans for whom life is very expensive.

Another thing is that there are a lot more power outages. Last week there were power outages every night. Somehow during the day when you don’t need lights there is power and at night when you need it for cooking, eating, etc., there is none. And to make matters worse, it seems that in the dark there are a lot more mosquitoes at night which isn’t so good. And to top it all off, this morning the power company fooled us and turned the power off which resulted in a coooooold shower. I also have a cold which I am trying to shake. But, I am OK.

What am I doing here again? First and foremost, I am with old friends, and some new ones too. I am happy to be back and received very warm welcomes from everyone. For the past couple of years I have been helping KMET build a building which houses a medical clinic, micro finance, the “Schnurman” Pharmacy and various program offices. The building was completed last year. Now, we are constructing a second building which will house the youth program, Nutriflour Production facility, and a shelter for adolescent girls and young women – Freedom House. I have been negotiating bids for this new building and helping to coordinate construction. And it is going up fast, and I think it will be completed by the time I leave in early January. I really enjoy doing this, and it is good to leave something behind that will be there for a long time, but more importantly will provide important services for the community.

And now, this is exciting. I have been able to put together a real coup – a dental clinic which I believe will be operational in just a few more weeks. Through a contact in Seattle, I met an American dentist who lives and practices in Nairobi and who runs several non profit dental clinics in Nairobi and elsewhere here. Anyway, he came here to visit and was quite impressed with KMET and we have agreed that his organization – World Ministries International will provide equipment and staff for the dental clinic. This is a first, and the need for people to have dental care is paramount. So many people in the slum communities here are in serious need of dental services, and our new clinic will be affordable. In fact we hope that people who can afford to pay a market rate will come and use the service which will help to subsidize the cost for those who have little to no money.

Each morning on my way to work I take Agnes, the 3 year old I live with to nursery school on the motorcycle I take to work. Would this happen in America? I help with the cooking at home. Last weekend I made guacamole which everyone loved including me. The only problem was not being able to have the right kind of chips for dipping so we used potato chips. It worked!! The avocados here are huge and delicious. And I was asked to make more which I will.

Here is an interesting cultural thing that I witnessed. A man who is married to a woman but who was never formally introduced to his wife’s m other cannot be in the same room with his mother in law. When she came to visit her daughter, he had to stay in the kitchen until she left.

One of the best things about living in different parts of the world is to experience different culture, mores, taboos, etc. I learn a lot every day. And by the way speaking of learning, my Kiswahili is getting better and better and so is my Dholuo the local language spoken in this part of Kenya.So,

I have attached a few photos – the new building under construction, Agnes and me on the motorcycle going to school, and a photo of Marrion who some of you are helping to continue her education after she was left an orphan last hear. She is Festus’ 11 year old niece, and is number 1 in her class and also a very nice young girl. She will go far and make those of us who are helping very proud. Let Hinda or me know if you want to help.

I think that is enough for now.

Love,
Peter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home